Covered California connects Californians with health insurance options under the Affordable Care Act. You can compare and choose health insurance plans for yourself and your family. Depending on your income, you may qualify for financial help on health insurance bought through Covered California.
Covered California is available to:
- Any US citizen or legal immigrant, and
- Any income level.
You may apply for health insurance through Covered California in any of the following ways:
- ONLINE at coveredca.com
- BY PHONE with Covered California at (800) 300-1506 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm)
- BY PHONE with local enrollment centers. Click on “Find Local Help to Enroll” on coveredca.com
Don’t miss Open Enrollment for Covered California! Here are important dates:
- Open Enrollment Begins November 1, 2020! You can apply for coverage through Covered California starting November 1, 2020. Your coverage start date may be as early as January 1, 2021.
- Open Enrollment Ends January 31, 2021! If you do not enroll by January 31, 2021, you will not be able to apply through Covered California until the next open enrollment period in late 2021. Covered California offer Special Enrollment to those who have life-changing events, such as marriage or birth of a child.
If your employer makes payments to SF City Option on your behalf, you may be eligible for SF Covered MRA. SF Covered MRA is a health care spending account that helps you pay for health insurance purchased through Covered California. Complete the SF City Option Program Finder Form to find out if you may be eligible for SF Covered MRA.
State law requires most people to have health insurance. The tax penalty for not having health insurance is $695 per adult or 2.5% of annual household income, whichever is greater.