The Affordable Care Act expanded eligibility to free public health insurance programs beginning January 1, 2014. Medi-Cal is California’s free public health insurance program that currently serves over 13 million Californians, including the disabled, families and seniors. Health care services covered include doctor’s office visits, hospital care, emergency room care, and prescription medications.
You may qualify for Medi-Cal under the expanded eligibility rules if you meet all of the following requirements:
• US citizen, US national, or lawfully present in the US;
• Resident of California;
• Between the ages of 19 and 64; and
• Have a household income at or below 138% of the Federal Poverty Level.
You may apply for Medi-Cal in any of the following ways:
• ONLINE at coveredca.com
• BY PHONE to Covered California at (800) 300-1506
(Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm, and Saturday, 8am to 6pm)
• IN PERSON at a local enrollment center. Click on “Find Local Help to Enroll” on coveredca.com